Plant Growing Propagation Supervisor
Our client a market leader in propagating and growing one of the largest ranges of hardy nursery stock plants in the country are seeking a skilled and experienced Plant Growing Supervisor to join our team.
We are not wholesale producers, preferring to concentrate on growing small numbers of a large range of rare and unusual plants. Our range starts from propagation through to specimen plants in up to 1000 litre containers.
Our commitment to growing genuine English grown and English provenance native trees & hedging is well known.
Hours of work
Monday to Friday 7.30 - 5.00 (earlier finish in winter hours). Weekends on a rota basis during April - October.
Plant Growing Supervisor
As an experienced and skilled Plant Nurseryman / Woman your responsibilities will include:
* Supporting the Nursery Manager and supervise the propagation side of our plant production work.
* Managing a small team to collect and store propagation material. Use a variety of methods (seed, graft, cutting etc) to raise our plants to ready for sale size
* Ensure the propagation programme is followed and correct records are maintained
* Ensure correct aftercare is carried out. This ranges from weeding, irrigation, pest & disease control
* Contribute as required to working in other areas of the nursery e.g. onward growing
* You will be hands on where required and coach & mentor your team to produce quality plants.
Plant Growing Supervisor
Skills and Experience
* We need you to have an enthusiasm for wide range of plants and possess a comprehensive knowledge of a range of genus. You will also be willing to increase that knowledge, including being comfortable learning Botanic plant names.
* This is not an entry level post so we need you to be skilled and experienced in plant care, propagation and maintenance tasks. You will have at least 2 years experience working in a commercial growing nursery
* As this is a supervisory post you will also have experience of leading a team and possess good people management skills.
* You will need to be physically fit.
* You must be prepared to work outside in a range of weather conditions
* PA1 & PA6 certificates desirable
* Formal horticultural qualifications desirable
* We would like you to share our interest in environmental issues and understand how our business supports the expanding interest in green matters.
* Whilst keeping quality in mind, we need you to understand this is a commercial business where you need to work efficiently. We need you to work tidily and be well organised.
* Tasks will be set and agreed but we would like a relationship where you can contribute your own ideas and be happy to work on your own initiative
* We like a happy working environment so we ask that you are a good team player and are willing to be flexible to assist colleagues. You will be able to demonstrate good interpersonal skills
* Our clients are very important to us and we ask that in your dealings with them you are professional and courteous.
Benefits of Plant Growing Supervisor
* The salary is attractive and negotiable dependent upon skills and experience. We offer progressive increases and the potential to increase remuneration and earn bonuses dependent upon performance.
* This is an exciting opportunity to extend your existing plant knowledge whilst delivering the best service.
* Opportunities for promotion and progression
* Working within a friendly team environment
* Job satisfaction from working with seasonal variety
* Staff discount and free plant & design advice
* Free parking
Plant Growing Supervisor - Please APPLY ASAP